I'll go with thee to the lane's end... I am a kind of burr, I shall stick. Shakespeare, Measure for Measure
I write not to teach but to learn. Rebecca West
- "Always Forever Now," Ideomancer volume 13, issue 2
- "Black Sun," Black Static # 32
- "Bread or Cake" and "Pride/Shame,"2nd Annual Philadelphia One-Minute Play Festival
- "Copper Heart," Polluto Magazine issue 5, A Steampunk Orange
- "The Accomplished Birder's Guide to Overcoming Rejection," Last Drink Bird Head, edited by Ann and Jeff VanderMeer
- "Another Night With the Henriksens," Player's Theater Halloween One-Act Festival NYC 2008
- "Hating the Lovers," and "Pipe Down!" Geez Magazine: Thirty Sermons You Would Never Hear in Church
- "Beth/slash/Nathan," Paper Fruit Blogiversary Contest
Monday, October 29, 2012
The Castle of Saint George was a true fortress, like the gated communities of today. It was my idea to see it, on our trip to Lisbon, and it proved a hit with my companions. So, very satisfying. There was a breeze, and the light was exquisite.
When I first learned that castles were primarily defensive structures, I was disappointed, and I guess that disappointment stayed with me. But the castles of Portugal were so beautiful and varied, and rich in stories, I'm back to crushing on castles.
I'm more guarded myself now, so I suppose I can forgive castles for being the same.
We climbed all around the wall walk and looked at the arrow loops and other defenses. It was a wonderfully secure castle, satisfying and invigorating to my paranoia. I took my camerado around the inner gatehouse, and showed him all the places where invaders could be murdered.
A pleasing thought! That feeling, in chess, when your bishop moves to attack the enemy rook, and the rook finds his avenues of escape patrolled by one of your knights. That feeling is war's cradle.
at 8:05 PM
- karen joy fowler
- jerome stueart
- gregory frost
- george macdonald
- hal duncan
- shweta narayan
- cory doctorow
- desirina boskovich
- picture books review
- helen mallon
- open up, flower!
- ben francisco
- daniel gracely
- justin whitney
- kater cheek's art
- keyan bowes
- ecstatic days
- glass maze
- paper fruit
conservation and ecology
grow your own
- ▼ 2012 (7)
- ► 2011 (25)
- ► 2010 (32)
- ► 2007 (40)