I learned that if I buy a tricycle on craigslist, the owner of this irate dog will totally, fuckin,' make it fit me.
I learned that there are more vintage cars in Santa Cruz than any place I have ever been.
And many of them are trucks, and many of them still have their original paint.
I learned that some taco shops will let you bring a dog inside. (Dog courtesy of my hosts).
I learned that you can get these gear-shaped steampunk doughnuts at a 24 hour doughnut shop called Ferrel's that even has wi-fi.
I learned that New Jersey isn't the only place with weird roadside attractions.
And that just when you expect a threatening character to emerge from the beat-up trailer behind said roadside attraction, one will.
But if you show no fear aforementioned character may share what he knows of the roadside attraction, leaving you unharmed but not significantly enlightened.
I also learned that if you have the opportunity for a writing holiday in California, don't submit to markets with quick turnaround: checking email becomes a distraction. And if you intend to plot a new play and novel, don't bog down editing old stuff.
AND that getting away from all distractions, and focusing exclusively on writing (with breaks for hiking around) is a great way to accelerate progress on your writing goals and remind yourself what you're capable of when you put them first.
I'll go with thee to the lane's end... I am a kind of burr, I shall stick. Shakespeare, Measure for Measure
I write not to teach but to learn. Rebecca West
- "Always Forever Now," Ideomancer volume 13, issue 2
- "Black Sun," Black Static # 32
- "Bread or Cake" and "Pride/Shame,"2nd Annual Philadelphia One-Minute Play Festival
- "Copper Heart," Polluto Magazine issue 5, A Steampunk Orange
- "The Accomplished Birder's Guide to Overcoming Rejection," Last Drink Bird Head, edited by Ann and Jeff VanderMeer
- "Another Night With the Henriksens," Player's Theater Halloween One-Act Festival NYC 2008
- "Hating the Lovers," and "Pipe Down!" Geez Magazine: Thirty Sermons You Would Never Hear in Church
- "Beth/slash/Nathan," Paper Fruit Blogiversary Contest
- karen joy fowler
- jerome stueart
- gregory frost
- george macdonald
- hal duncan
- shweta narayan
- cory doctorow
- desirina boskovich
- picture books review
- helen mallon
- open up, flower!
- ben francisco
- daniel gracely
- justin whitney
- kater cheek's art
- keyan bowes
- ecstatic days
- glass maze
- paper fruit
conservation and ecology
grow your own
- ► 2011 (25)
- ▼ March (3)
- ► 2007 (40)