I'll go with thee to the lane's end... I am a kind of burr, I shall stick. Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

I write not to teach but to learn. Rebecca West

drew's writing:

  • "Always Forever Now," Ideomancer volume 13, issue 2
  • "Black Sun," Black Static # 32
  • "Bread or Cake" and "Pride/Shame,"2nd Annual Philadelphia One-Minute Play Festival
  • "Copper Heart," Polluto Magazine issue 5, A Steampunk Orange
  • "The Accomplished Birder's Guide to Overcoming Rejection," Last Drink Bird Head, edited by Ann and Jeff VanderMeer
  • "Another Night With the Henriksens," Player's Theater Halloween One-Act Festival NYC 2008
  • "Hating the Lovers," and "Pipe Down!" Geez Magazine: Thirty Sermons You Would Never Hear in Church
  • "Beth/slash/Nathan," Paper Fruit Blogiversary Contest

Thursday, April 22, 2010

four from Muir


We went hiking in the Muir Woods. It amazes me that you can drive a half hour from San Francisco and be in an old growth forest.


It's always exciting to be in a forest that's never been logged. Where I'm from, you don't use the word primeval as often as you'd like.



We heard a terrific ranger talk about how this patch of coast redwoods was narrowly saved by an 11th hour intervention from Theodore Roosevelt. A water company had wanted to build a dam upstream and flood the valley.


Just another example of activist government hampering the free market...

The coolest fact we learned about Sequoia sempervirens is that an entire grove may spring from the root system of a single parent tree, and may be considered a single organism.

I was resisting the temptation to post a long shot of some redwoods as it is impossible to get a sense of the scale, but I find I can't resist, so here is one anyway:

No comments: