I'll go with thee to the lane's end... I am a kind of burr, I shall stick. Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

I write not to teach but to learn. Rebecca West

drew's writing:

  • "Always Forever Now," Ideomancer volume 13, issue 2
  • "Black Sun," Black Static # 32
  • "Bread or Cake" and "Pride/Shame,"2nd Annual Philadelphia One-Minute Play Festival
  • "Copper Heart," Polluto Magazine issue 5, A Steampunk Orange
  • "The Accomplished Birder's Guide to Overcoming Rejection," Last Drink Bird Head, edited by Ann and Jeff VanderMeer
  • "Another Night With the Henriksens," Player's Theater Halloween One-Act Festival NYC 2008
  • "Hating the Lovers," and "Pipe Down!" Geez Magazine: Thirty Sermons You Would Never Hear in Church
  • "Beth/slash/Nathan," Paper Fruit Blogiversary Contest

Thursday, February 24, 2011

longwood gardens (not actually a hike)

longwood with Sarah February 2011 211

No hike this week; we hosted my mother-in-law and took her to Longwood, a stupendous public garden west of Philly: check out this map of the conservatory. The carnivorous plants would have delighted the Addams family, and we liked the silvery succulents and the bonsai. While my camerado and his mum toured the DuPont house I went to see the new treehouses--the rustic materials and setting contrasted nicely with the grace and sophistication of the designs. Many arboretums are adding treehouses. HOORAY FOR TREEHOUSES!

Longwood also added a serpentine corridor to the conservatory--with a living wall:

longwood with Sarah February 2011 137

I had read about living walls but this is the first I'd seen in person.

longwood with Sarah February 2011 140

The museums and gardens of the Delaware Valley were a haven and an education for me growing up. It's great to see one growing in smart ways, while respecting its heritage.

Longwood has been significant to my family: we celebrated the second anniversary of my mom's transplant there, and, for some reason, went after my cousin's funeral--I guess because we didn't know what else to do. While my newly-abbreviated family and I were looking at the view from the Italian garden, a girl I was seeing at the time put her arm around me and whispered, I'm bored, can we leave?

celtic classic, longwood 084

The Italian garden looks a little stark this time of year, I took the picture above the first time my camerado and I went to Longwood--he was quickly surfeited with the formal gardens and wanted to see the woods and meadow--a choice I found baffling at the time, because you can see woods and meadows anywhere.

longwood with Sarah February 2011 158

I've seen a lot of woods and meadows with him since that time and can attest that no two are alike. We'll be back in Chester County for our next hike, where we hope to see some paw-paw trees and Brandywine blue gneiss.

No comments: