I'll go with thee to the lane's end... I am a kind of burr, I shall stick. Shakespeare, Measure for Measure
I write not to teach but to learn. Rebecca West
- "Always Forever Now," Ideomancer volume 13, issue 2
- "Black Sun," Black Static # 32
- "Bread or Cake" and "Pride/Shame,"2nd Annual Philadelphia One-Minute Play Festival
- "Copper Heart," Polluto Magazine issue 5, A Steampunk Orange
- "The Accomplished Birder's Guide to Overcoming Rejection," Last Drink Bird Head, edited by Ann and Jeff VanderMeer
- "Another Night With the Henriksens," Player's Theater Halloween One-Act Festival NYC 2008
- "Hating the Lovers," and "Pipe Down!" Geez Magazine: Thirty Sermons You Would Never Hear in Church
- "Beth/slash/Nathan," Paper Fruit Blogiversary Contest
Friday, July 20, 2007
Jim Boggia cover of "Somebody to Love"
You can download this gorgeous cover of Queen's "Somebody to Love" for free. Or, just listen to it. The artist is Jim Boggia, a local Philly musician. He recorded it to honor WXPN DJ Helen Leicht's thirtieth year on the radio. Boggia's cover combines celestial back-up harmonies with an earthy lead voice. It has an urgent, yearning quality.
I also like George Michael's version at the Freddy Mercury tribute concert.
Above is a detail from a Yoruban chief's door. The artist is Arowogun d'Osi-Ilorin, a wood carver who made masks, doors, and house posts all around Osi, in Southwest Nigeria. His name means "He who makes his living by the knife."
The door is at the Nasher Museum of Art in North Carolina.
at 10:28 PM
- karen joy fowler
- jerome stueart
- gregory frost
- george macdonald
- hal duncan
- shweta narayan
- cory doctorow
- desirina boskovich
- picture books review
- helen mallon
- open up, flower!
- ben francisco
- daniel gracely
- justin whitney
- kater cheek's art
- keyan bowes
- ecstatic days
- glass maze
- paper fruit
conservation and ecology
grow your own
- ► 2011 (25)
- ► 2010 (32)
- giant justin with tiny keyan and shweta
- Pat Tillman, new information
- shaman optometrist fights age, recalls scouting da...
- Caravaggio painting; Goethe quote
- Ultimate Question, Nietzsche Family Circus, distur...
- San Diego Mormon Temple
- Tintin, and Moorcock's open source character
- Rossetti's Mnemosene and my favorite Yeats poem.
- Jim Boggia cover of "Somebody to Love"
- niki de saint phalle dragon and my birthday
- Beck - Nobody's Fault But My Own
- UC Men's Octet - Bohemian Rhapsody
- ▼ July (12)