I'll go with thee to the lane's end... I am a kind of burr, I shall stick. Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

I write not to teach but to learn. Rebecca West

drew's writing:

  • "Always Forever Now," Ideomancer volume 13, issue 2
  • "Black Sun," Black Static # 32
  • "Bread or Cake" and "Pride/Shame,"2nd Annual Philadelphia One-Minute Play Festival
  • "Copper Heart," Polluto Magazine issue 5, A Steampunk Orange
  • "The Accomplished Birder's Guide to Overcoming Rejection," Last Drink Bird Head, edited by Ann and Jeff VanderMeer
  • "Another Night With the Henriksens," Player's Theater Halloween One-Act Festival NYC 2008
  • "Hating the Lovers," and "Pipe Down!" Geez Magazine: Thirty Sermons You Would Never Hear in Church
  • "Beth/slash/Nathan," Paper Fruit Blogiversary Contest

Monday, July 23, 2007

Ultimate Question, Nietzsche Family Circus, disturbing tree


























Why is there something instead of nothing? For me that's the ultimate question. Even if you posit a God, it is irksome to be asked to imagine a God that has no origin.


The author of the Pooh stories wrote a poem about a girl named Elizabeth Anne, who runs around asking people how God began. Then her doll tells her. I still find this poem unsettling.

But, like Elizabeth Anne, and, I guess Newton, I accept the idea that something has to get things rolling. Aquinas' idea of the uncaused cause seems like cheating to me now, though I once accepted it.

For more deep thoughts, I recommend the Nietzsche Family Circus, which pairs a randomized Family Circus cartoon with a randomized Friedrich Nietzsche quote.
Also, read Caleb's funny account of our encounter with a disturbing tree on the UCSD campus.

No comments:

Blog Archive